Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Ecological Footprint of a College Student

Whether or not I'm an average college student is debatable, but here are my results after taking the Ecological Footprint Quiz:





Here's what I'm going to do about it
The best thing for me to try and reduce is either my food or goods and services footprint. A lot of the things in my carbon and housing footprint are out of my hands at this stage in life, so it makes sense. I can...
-Shop at my local co-op market more often. I seriously live only half a mile away from it but not gonna lie, it just hasn't been that important to me.
-Plant a garden. Well I can't plant a garden around my apartment building but I can grow herbs on the windowsill.
-Recycle electronics. I'm already a little OCD about sorting recyclables but I'm terribly at recycling electronics. I actually hoard them for years not knowing how to properly dispose of them. 

Notes
-I answered the quiz as if I was predominately living with my family which is not the case but i just have more information. 
-I also approximated on several numbers.
-I wasn't sure on a number of things, pretty much, even after googling them.

1 comment:

  1. Vicki -- it is difficult to obtain an accurate EF without accurate inputs. I would prefer you calculated your EF for your current living situation and take the time to find out what your electric bill is etc. In any case, these seem like reasonable goals. However, would you mind re-visiting your blog and making them more specific and measurable and concerning daily activities? You can't plant a garden in winter, and while recycling your electronics is a great one time/long term goal, it is not in the spirit of the assignment. Please select 3 behavior changes that occur on a daily or weekly basis. Thanks! 50/50 points

    ReplyDelete