Monday, February 3, 2014

Ecological Footprint: Week 5 Update


Time for another update:

1. Shop at my local co-op market at least once a week
This...hasn't happened. Turns out I don't go through groceries that quickly (probably because I bought in bulk at the beginning of the quarter). I've only accompanied my roommate when she does a Fred Meyer lately, but I did  buy some organic apples while I was there which never used to happen before.

2. Get my roommate to do laundry together
I found out that my roommate does one load of laundry every week. I usually do one load every month. Whoah there. I asked my roommate how she felt about doing loads together from now on and while she didn't say no outright, she did seem hesitant. Our plans might be foiled by the recent failure of our apartment complex's washing machine however. That sort of foils any laundry plans.

3. I will walk to campus 3/5 days, and walk home 3/5 days
This has been successful!

So that's how things currently look. Perhaps it's time to develop another new goal?

4. Don't buy as many things that I don't need
In my case, this applies mostly to food but can apply to all products. We, Americans especially, over-consume and a lot of the things we buy end up as waste. It can be hard to tell ourselves that no, we don't actually need that thing. It's not just the number of things we buy either, it's the size too. For example, it took me awhile to get out of the habit of buying the bigger carton of milk for a better deal when all I really needed was the half liter.

No comments:

Post a Comment